Tuesday, 25 July 2017

Wargaming Counter Bases


Using the same magnetic counter technique I had on the Tigris counters I made up these bases which track the stats of the character sat on it. It's all a little bit small and fiddly but it was functional. I think it would need another iteration to actually be useful.


Monday, 24 July 2017

Zaros Godsword


Another collaboration with Eldritch, this is the Zaros Godsword from Runescape. Using this image as a reference I was able to draw up and cut the sword, although I quickly realised the sword in the image isn't straight so I had to take a few liberties with the final piece. It's built like a normal LRP weapon with a carbon fibre rod core and multiple layers of plastazote LD45 foam. The finished piece was glued, latexed and coloured by Eldritch.



It's a bit hard to see on the white foam but the blade was actually engraved with a design.



Sunday, 23 July 2017

Gluing curved surfaces


I wanted to make a curve lid for a classic pirate style treasure chest, I didn't really consider it before making and before I knew it I had stacked dozens of pieces of 6mm ply into a pile to give me the right shape. It doesn't leave a very nice edge though so I decided to skin it with a piece of flexible wood veneer. I started by gluing the veneer along one edge of the curve but I didn't have enough clamps to hold it in place across the whole surface. The solution is to vacuum seal the whole thing in a ziplock bag. It's a very simple process where I sucked the air out of the back once the curve had been glued and this provided suitable pressure to hold the veneer in place until the glue had dried. I use evo stick wood glue with resin that grips the material in about 5 minutes. After that point you can remove the item from the bag and it will dry properly over the next 24 hours. I didn't take any specific pictures of the lid but I'll have some images of the box soon. 





Saturday, 22 July 2017

Welsh Masters Item


I made another item for the Welsh Masters this year, this is their logo cut from 2mm mdf, there was another layer which went on top and brought out the details of the face but I've misplaced the photo.

Friday, 21 July 2017

Nespresso Pod Holder


While not completely my own build, a friend bought a wall mounted nespresso pod holder and was worried about the pods scratching the wall. I simply cut a sheet of polypropylene to go behind it which is lightweight, cheap and should prevent all scratching. 




Thursday, 20 July 2017

Character Shrine


I found a picture of my goblin character, that I engraved as a test piece, in the pile of scrap wood I was burning on the camp fire. I put it up in the tent and it became a mini shrine, in a self indulgent moment I decided to elaborate on the joke and made this whole mini shrine devoted to the character. It hasn't received any gifts yet but it was a fun little build.


Wednesday, 19 July 2017

My Vale Runes



I ordered a large jailers key ring to hold my own set of runes and when it arrived I quickly realised that the hole wasn't large enough. This was a good excuse to cut my own set of runes from real wood instead of ply, this is 2mm oak. by converting the runes to a trapezium shape I was also able to achieve tessellation for a very efficient use of material. 


Tuesday, 18 July 2017

Vale Runes


Like most LRP games Vale has a rune system, each rune forms part of an alphabet and also has an inverse rune. I created a set of runes which include the description but also have the inverse description on the rear. These runes are used to help focus the rituals for the game and invoking the right combination of runes is the difference between success and fail for a ritual. I put a simple string hole in these with the intention that whoever gets them can tie the ones they're currently using to their own kit.



Monday, 17 July 2017

Door strip



The strip between the wooden floor in the lounge and the tiled floor in the kitchen died, largely through old age and bad installation from the previous owners. When I tried to replace it I realised the problem of finding exactly the right profile for the gap. The closest thing I found took 3 days to arrive, cost a fortune and was totally wrong when it finally arrived. 
Stacking up a zillion pieces of 6mm laser ply is never fun but I actually whizzed through it in an hour because I squared them up against an angled piece of aluminium I had lying around. The whole thing was skinned with flexible 0.8mm Birch ply. In one evening I have exactly the right piece required to span the gap, nearly 2 months later it's holding up really well (a little grubby because I forgot to varnish it). I just need to lift it again now and finish it off properly.



Sunday, 16 July 2017

40th Anniversary Cake Topper


My parents had their 40th wedding anniversary and my sister asked me to make a cake topper for the cake she was making.